Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What Does Your Trained Eye See?

 

Recently I've started working with Rand on doing site analyses for our clients. He's taken me under his wing by walking me through a typical site analysis and telling me what to look for. Obviously since Rand is the resident expert it is easy for him to know what to look for and what to recommend to the client.

Unfortunately up until I started working for SEOmoz I was accustomed to surfing into a site and taking it at face value. I now have to train my eyes to see things as an SEO expert would. How do I train myself to do that? I'm currently taking the hands-on shadowing approach with Rand but I recently read an interview with Michael Gray (aka Graywolf) on the Sootledir Marketing Blog that offered another site analysis tactic:
When I was first starting out I’d do it with index cards writing down all of the onsite factors for site1.com on one index card. Then I would do the same for site2.com and site3.com. Do the same for links. Then take all the links cards and spread them out on the table looking for commonalities in linking patterns.
In terms of visual hands-on exercises his advice is pretty sound. It's a good way to get assimilated and accustomed to comparing and contrasting different sites and training yourself to catch site weaknesses.

Do any of you have additional advice to offer an untrained eye? What's an innovative clever or simply tried-and-true way to train yourself to know what to look for when analyzing a site (other than the typical get-better-the-more-you-do-it approach)?

  posted by Smile Community @ 9:06 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search


Web W-master

Home

Previous Post

*Vote for Your Favorite Blog Entry

*Blog RSS

*Humorous Take an Harry Potter

*Alexa & Hitwise and Real Numbers Oh My!

*How to play nice in the Google Sandbox.

*Core Windows Vista Architect Leaving Microsoft

*How You Can Help SEOmoz Hire

*Article Directories: The Path to Great SEO

*Core Windows Vista Architect Leaving Microsoft

*Article Directories: The Path to Great SEO

Archives

*February 2006

*March 2006

*April 2006

*May 2006

*August 2006

*September 2006

*October 2006

*November 2006

*December 2006

Partner Links

Best Offers

RSS Feeds

TOP Blog Links

BlogOmg >> The Best and Most Popular Blogs
Ping Your Blog!
Name:
URL:
Powered By: PingTheEmpire.com