Tuesday, November 14, 2006

How to Alienate a Country of Users

 

Posted by rebecca

Boy I sure am learning how to see the world of search from a UK point of view and this point of view is often neglected overlooked and mad as hell about it. While discussing conversions Ammon showed me a very interesting example of how a site can instantly alienate a UK user and get him to leave the site.

Pretend I'm a user from the UK. Oi mate! Ello govnah! Ow are ooh? Okay enough of that. Never mind my pathetic British spoken accent; typing it is even worse. Anyway say I'm interested in one of them fancy new iPod nanos. I pull up Google.co.uk and since I'm an average Liam (like Average Joe only with a British name!) I type in "nano ipod." Here are the top results I get:



I ignore the top paid listings for now and focus on the first four. Understandably Apple is the number one result but Amazon.co.uk is right below Apple at #2. Hmmm that title tag for Amazon is pretty ugly-looking and the description is even worse. Apple's title tag however is exactly what I'm looking for--an iPod nano. The description is perfect so I click on that result.

The home page looks promising--it's sleek looks cool and offers exactly what I want:



I get excited about making my purchase and scan for the price. But wait a minute:



Dollar signs? Bloody hell! The prices are totally U.S.-centric! Lee Fresh Egg's SEO director agreed; other than hearing Madonna's crap faux-British accent nothing turns a Brit off more than seeing a site offer only American pricing. As if that's not bad check out the customer service phone number:



Customers in the UK will have to pay to use that number because it's a 1-800 number and not 0-800. Apple you've just lost a sale. I hit the back button and re-examine the search results.

The two results listed underneath Amazon's are advertising iPod accessories which isn't what I want. It looks like Amazon.co.uk will be my best bet so even though it was a less attractive-looking result than Apple's the fact that they're on a UK domain probably means that they specifically cater to UK users and thus they earn my trust.

You're probably thinking "Oi Rebecca! But Apple had a paid listing at at the top of the page that pointed to apple.com/ukstore!" That's true but how many users are blind to the top and right-hand side of the screen because of the fact that they're paid ads? Probably a lot. "Okay" you're thinking "but why doesn't Apple just create apple.co.uk and optimize (optimise hehe) that?" Well that's a good idea. The only problem is that apple.co.uk is already registered to Apple Agency an illustrating company.

So what should Apple do? Probably serve its UK page to the appropriate IP addresses. Until then it's doing a bang up job of losing out on potential sales.

View Comments


  posted by Smile Community @ 6:07 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search


Web W-master

Home

Previous Post

*How to Design Your AdSense Ads

*How to Position AdSense Ads

*Elite Retreat – For Real this Time

*Add a Technorati Avatar to Promote Your Blog

*A Lot of People Have to Die for Corporate Blogging...

*How to Fine Tune Your Blog for Christmas

*Fasten Your Seat Belts…. The Next Two Weeks Could ...

*Thanks to ProBlogger Partners

*URL.com - Innovating Community Search

*Lisensa - Copyright Management Solution

Archives

*February 2006

*March 2006

*April 2006

*May 2006

*August 2006

*September 2006

*October 2006

*November 2006

*December 2006

Partner Links

Best Offers

RSS Feeds

TOP Blog Links

BlogOmg >> The Best and Most Popular Blogs
Ping Your Blog!
Name:
URL:
Powered By: PingTheEmpire.com