Monday, November 20, 2006

One of the Most Talked About Incidents at Pubcon

 

Posted by randfish

As always it's the dramatic moments that get the most press. At Las Vegas' Pubcon this year one of the most talked-about moments was Matt Cutts' introduction at the podium during the Super Session at the end of (day 3) Thursday. I got a few emails through the suggestion box asking if I'd make a post on the topic (and heard plenty of buzz at the conference itself). Let's hope my memory serves me well.

Matt rose to the stage and first asked a few questions of the audience. He wanted folks to raise their hand if they were over 30 or under 30 (I couldn't see the audience but he said it favored the under 30 crowd). He then asked how many folks were more red state or blue state (I believe he specifically re-worded it as "How many people were happy with the mid-term elections"). I couldn't believe my ears and stood slightly to turn around the room and look - it appeared to be about 65-70% "happy with mid-term elections." Two gentlemen to my right appeared to take quick offense and one muttered to the other (as the "blue state" types were raising their hands) "f--kers." Almost simultaneously a woman behind me said something to her friend about "damn liberals" - I imagine that there were negative comments during the "red state" hand-raising as well but didn't hear them from where I was sitting. From talking to others afterwards however I gathered that I wasn't alone in hearing antagonistic mutterings.

I want to make it clear that I don't blame Matt at all - I think he was geniunely interested to see what the demographics of the WebMasterWorld conference looked like and had no ill intention whatsoever. However as I've noted in the past on the issue of mixing politics and business the emotions run so strong that it can be a danger to friendly relationships of all types when these leanings are exposed. It's sad that politics is a topic that can't be discussed in friendly company - certainly disagreements on nearly every other issue are easily shrugged off in the conference environment.

That evening at the events I attended many folks used the event as a starting point for conversation (myself included). While no one I talked to felt offended nearly everyone was shocked - some even thought Matt (being someone who carefully chooses his words particularly in front of an audience) was motivated in some way to "stir the pot." The most negative comments I heard were from folks who felt massively uncomfortable and concerned that business or personal relationships they had with the folks around them could be damaged by raising their hand and exposing their viewpoints. I admit that I can empathize with that sentiment.

Obviously it's nowhere close to the most important incident of the event nor nearly the most interesting but it certainly can make for a useful lesson - beware of injecting dangerous subject matter into an unfamiliar audience and use caution when exposing your politics.

Now back to the important stuff...

View Comments


  posted by Smile Community @ 12:09 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Search


Web W-master

Home

Previous Post

*5 Things I Like Most About GMail

*Testing for Recruitment Software Update

*How to Optimize a Shoplinc Store

*18 Lessons in Blogging - Part II

*More Chitika Ad Optimizing Tips

*Be the First to Comment

*Are you on the first page in the search engines?

*MyBlogLog Sold to Yahoo! for a reported $10m

*How to Improve Your Chitika Ads Performance

*Bug in Blogads Affecting Publishers?

Archives

*February 2006

*March 2006

*April 2006

*May 2006

*August 2006

*September 2006

*October 2006

*November 2006

*December 2006

Partner Links

Best Offers

RSS Feeds

TOP Blog Links

BlogOmg >> The Best and Most Popular Blogs
Ping Your Blog!
Name:
URL:
Powered By: PingTheEmpire.com